The clips were recorded using the following equipment:
- RCA 77 ribbon microphone
- Selmer Mark VI tenor saxophone (77xxx serial no.)
- Rico Jazz Select 3M filed reed
- ebonite ring-style ligature
- at least one large chamber mouthpiece made from at least one kind of metal
- at least one large chamber mouthpiece made from at least one kind of plastic(and/or hard rubber)
All mouthpieces for this test were machined using the same program on the same machine on the same day. Each received minimal deburring but no hand finishing as such. They are all my Original Large Chamber design, but with no biteplate cavity. One is machined from brass, the other from Delrin.
A simple ebonite ring-style ligature was used to eliminate any differences in ligature placement or pressure.
The same reed was used on all samples. It was new reed but already broken in at an earlier date.
Clips were recorded at 44.1 kHz and 24 bit. Copmressed using LAME mp3 encoder at 320kbps constant bit rate.